Farmhouse Poponi - Todi
Subscription to the farmhouse Poponi
Italiano | English  
Subscription to the farmhouse Poponi
 
  Farm house in Umbria - Poponi  
 

Events in Umbria

Farm house in Umbria - Poponi
  Farm house in Umbria - Poponi  
  Farm house in Umbria - Poponi
 
 
Todi&Surroundings
 
 

An American study named Todi the “World’s most liveable city”: filled with monuments of great historic and architectural importance, it is the ultimate destination for anyone seeking a holiday of culture, art and relaxation. Its surroundings are dotted with quaint little villages and castles, villas and farmhouses.


 
 

The visit can start from the majestic Tempio di Santa Maria della Consolazione, situated along the main road and built from 1508 to 1607. The design was suggested by many artists such as Donato Bramante. Towards the centre, past the public gardens and Via Ciuffelli, it is possible to admire Jacopone' s monument.

 
 

Climbing up the stairs one can visit Tempio di San Fortunato, whose faciade has not been finished and where Jacopone's mortal remains lie. On the left of the church there are the Archive and the Public Library. On the right there is Piazza Pignattara It is close to the site of Liceo Classico and Linguistico, formerly a monastery where Friar Jacopone meditated on his conversion. Climbing up on the left there is a Roman tank called San Cassiano prison, because San Cassiano is thought to be imprisoned there and later killed in 304 A.D.

 
     
 

So one can visit Parco della Rocca ( 411 m. on the sea level) where a temple dedicated to Jove lay in Roman times. Eventually it became a stronghold. Going downhill behind the monastery there is an arch on the right: it is Porta Libera, a Roman gate belonging to the second circle of walls.

 
 

Going downhill along Via SS. Filippo e Giacomo, one can reach the church Santi Filippo e Giacomo, built in 1276 and then desecrated. Going along Via L. Leonji one returns to Piazza Jacopone.

 
     
 

Going towards the main square one can pass by Teatro Comunale, designed by the architect Carlo Gatteschi and built in 1876, and reach Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II. Here the symbol of imperial power, represented by Palazzo del Popolo (1213), Palazzo del Capitano ( 1293), and Palazzo dei Priori ( 1293) and the symbol of papal power, represented by the Cathedral (11th century), superbly join together. On the second floor of the Palazzi Comunali there is the Town Museum. Under the square there are Roman tanks. On the left of the Cathedral one can admire the bishop's building, built in 1593 by Angelo Cesi.

 
 

Walking through Via Morandi one can reach Monastero delle Lucrezie, built by the Tertiary Order who lived there. Coming back to the main square, on the right of the Cathedral, a street leads to Palazzo Landi Corradi, whose portal is supposed to be made by Vignola. Close to Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II there is Piazza Garibaldi, so-called thanks to the statue dedicated to Garibaldi.. Here one can admire a building belonged to the family Viviano degli Atti. Coming down Corso Cavour on the right there is Fontana Cesia, built in 1606 by bishop Angelo Cesi. Then there is Porta Marzia which belongs to the first circle of walls. Walking along Corso Cavour a road leads to Piazza Mercato Vecchio where Nicchioni Romani lie. .

 
 

 

 
 

A wooded road leads to San Carlo church ( formerly Sant'Ilario), which was built during the 12th century and which was thought to be the former cathedral. Nearby there is Fontana di Scarnabecco ( Scannabecco). The name derives from the podest? Scarnabecco ( Scannabecco) who finished it in 1241.

 
 

Then it is possible to visit Santa Prassede church ( XIV ) whose faciade is characterised by white and red horizontal stripes. If one climbs up along Via S. Prassede it is possible to reach Piazza del Popolo; but the street on the right leads to Porta Perugina, belonging to the third circle of walls, the medieval one. Walking through Via Roma it is possible to admire the medieval Porta Catena. Then turning right along Via Santa Maria, the street leads to the church of Santa Maria in Cammuccia, an ancient Dominican monastery, dating back to 1394. Inside the church there is the beautiful wooden statue Sedes Sapientiae ( XII century).

 
 

 

 
 

At the end of this street one can visit the church of San Giorgio, and Porta Amerina, or the so-called Porta Fratta ( or destroyed). Nearby there is the church of Santo Stefano and the small fountains of Sant'Arcangelo, belonged to the first Franciscan Monastery in Todi. Walking along the walls, to the east, one reaches Porta Romana, the medieval gate. On the inside along Via Ulpiana, there is the church dedicated to San Filippo and in front of it the church of San Nicol? ( XIV century). The street on the right of the church leads to the remains of a Roman amphitheatre and to the church of San Nicoló in Criptis, still existing since 1093.

 
 

Outside the walls there is Tempio SS. Crocefisso, built by Angelo Cesi, where there is an ancient majesty depicting the image of the crucifixion. Going to lake Corbara, close to Santa Maria della Consolazione, a wooded road leads to the Monastery of Montesanto, formerly Monte Mascarano ( which means of the spirits), built to protect Todi from the attacks of Orvieto

 
     
 

Source – City of Todi website

 
     

 

 
    Home  |  The farmhouse  |  Photo gallery  |  Where we are  |  Events  |  Todi&Surroundings  |  Info&Prices  |  Contacts
Subscription to the Farmhouse Poponi NEWSLETTER
  © 2011 Agriturismo Poponi - di Romina
Fraz. San Giorgio - Via Mezze Piagge 26 06059 Todi (Perugia)
Tel. +39 075 894 82 33 / Cell. +39 339 751 20 80
E-mail: agriturismopoponi@gmail.com
Home Page  |  Site by Alligator.it